Arts & Culture
Gallery on the Green — www.gotgpawling.com
Pawling Concert Series: 2012 - 13
April 5, 2013 - Los Angeles Guitar Quartet - Four legendary, accomplished musicians perform master-works of the past and explorations of contemporary, jazz and world music.
April 26, 2013 - So Percussion - Four musicians perform standard percussion repertoire but are becoming better known for their use of exotic objects to make music on.
Local Historical Sites & Landmarks
Akin Free Library — circa 1898 1st Fl - Resource documents, rare volumes, ledgers, genealogies of early families, as well as contemporary literature, books by local authors, newspaper collections, and a children's section. 2nd Fl - Museum dedicated to Quaker Hill memorabilia including farm implements, turn of the century photographs, period and Quaker clothing, hats, and costumes. Lower floor - houses the Olive Gunnison Natural History Museum
John Kane House — circa 1740 When Washington moved the Continental Army northward in the summer of 1778, following the British evacuation of Philadelphia and the battle of Monmouth, New Jersey, he chose to position his forces in the area extending from Danbury, Connecticut to Newburgh, New York and chose the John Kane house in Pawling as his headquarters.
Oblong Meeting House — circa 1764 It was at the Oblong Meeting House in 1767, nearly 100 years before President Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, that the first effective action for the abolition of slavery in the colonies was taken. This same meeting house witnessed a different scene during the winter of 1778-79 when the building was commandeered by General Washington's officers for use as a military hospital.
Trinity-Pawling School — circa 1909 Now a preparatory school for boys, grades 9-12, the facility was used during World War II as a cryptographic center and later as a rehabilitation hospital.
Arts & Culture (Near Pawling)
- Bardavon 1869 Opera House — www.bardavon.org (30 minutes)
- Caramoor Center for Music & the Arts — www.caramoor.com (30 minutes)
- Chuang Yen Buddhist Monastery — www.baus.org (30 minutes)
- Culinary Institute of America — www.CIAChef.edu (30 minutes)
- Dia: Beacon, Riggio Galleries — www.DiaBeacon.org (30 minutes)
- Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site ”Val-Kil“ — www.nps.gov/elro (30 minutes)
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Home & Library — www.HistoricHydePark.org (30 minutes)
- Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival — www.hvshakespeare.org (1 hour)
- Jacob’s Pillow Dance — www.jacobspillow.org (70 miles - The Pawling House B & B is mid-way from NYC)
- Storm King Art Center — www.stormking.org (1 hour)
- Tanglewood — www.bso.org (70 miles - The Pawling House B & B is mid-way from NYC)
- United States Military Academy at West Point — www.westpoint.edu (45 minutes)
- Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site — www.HistoricHydePark.org (30 minutes)
- Walkway Over the Hudson — www.Walkway.org (30 minutes)